Wednesday, January 7, 2015

When In Oklahoma...do as the Okies do.

As I was browsing through the pictures on my camera roll and thinking about these last couple months in Oklahoma City, I thought I would put together a collage for the blog and tell the story of our move half-way across the country.
Then I sat down and thought....it might take me 2393483 hours to write our detailed journey ain't nobody got time for that so how do I make it short, sweet and worthwhile??
Lets start from the beginning and see how it goes.. My hubby and I were at dinner one night and he got a little smirk on his face. This smirk is basically his way of saying "dont freak out". He went on to say "so...I got a call about a job opening today". For those of you who know anything about coaching in college athletics especially basketball this happens frequently. Someone knows someone or something about a position that could possibly be coming open. My husband knows me very well and he knows that even the slightest chance he could have an interview somewhere and I start apt hunting which in turn we feel like is a jinx when nothing comes of the position. However, I knew this time he must have been serious. The first question I always ask is where at?? He said "Ummm..Oklahoma City." I immediately googled how far away it was from Bristol, VA where all my family lives and siri told me 14 hours. I then checked how far away from our current home Richmond, 20 hours. My reaction, "cooooooooool??" I tend to think that Drake was channeling my emotions when he wrote 0 to 100 because that tends to be the way my emotions fluctuate. I tried so hard to hold back my reactions but I am guilty of showing everything I ever feel right on my face.
He tried to assure me that it was just the beginning stages and nothing could come of it but he just wanted me to be aware of the possibility.
I don't know about you but in this moment i tried to be SO happy for my husband. He is the hardest worker and so passionate about coaching basketball and a job with the NBA just doesn't come around every day. I wanted to be nothing but happy for him but I was selfishly so sad. Sad to be leaving the family and friends we had grown to love in Richmond, sad to leave the familiar and dive into the unfamiliar of a new state, new city, new home, new job, new friends, new everything. Sad to be so far away from my family back home. I hate this part of myself because I feel as his wife I should be able to look past all of my doubts and insecurities and be happy for him and us and this opportunity. I trust his judgement and the decisions he makes for our family and this is something that I am definitely working on. Long story short in the next 2 weeks he flew to Oklahoma City & another college for interviews and we had the choice between the two. Oklahoma City was it and the Christian's were headed West.

It is 3 months later and here I am officially calling myself an Okie..(because I was told that's what you do here). The Midwest, especially Oklahoma City is beautiful. It is extremely flat and you can see for miles. I have a whole new appreciation for the infinite mountains that I grew up surrounded by that don't exist here. Sunsets are one of my favorite things and especially stunning here! I love exploring the city and by exploring I mean eating my way through Bricktown, drinking lunchboxes at Edna's, casually running into and getting caught (so embarrassing) trying to take pictures of local celebrities and real housewives, and learning about the history of this city. We are so thankful to have been given the opportunity to be a part of such an incredible organization such as the OKC Thunder and look forward to many more Midwestern memories to be made.

XO.
Elizabeth
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig