Sunday, January 18, 2015

How to: Hostess with the Mostest

I love having house guests! There is just something so fun about hosting people for a day, weekend, or extended stay in your home. For me, it is a chance to cater to, bake, pull out my fancy plates, and feel like our home could be a swanky bed and breakfast. With no children and a hubby who works basically all day every even in the small apartment that we are in now it can feel empty at times. I have been looking forward to hosting some girlfriends for the weekend since we moved to Oklahoma City back in October. At my "going away" dinner in Virginia we got out the calendar with my friends and began to plan a visit. The time has finally come (and left :/ ) and I have to say it was an amazing weekend filled with great food, drinks, basketball watching, star gazing, unlimited laughs and sassy dance moves.
I love to think in advance about having people come stay with us and think of little things to do to make them feel at home, away from home. I created a cookie recipe last weekend for Cookie Sunday (Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt) with this stay in mind and they were such a hit. I used my freezer stash of cookie dough to have handy for some freshly baked cookies upon arrival and a then few again for some lazy couch time (or recovery time) on Friday afternoon. Basically...cookies on demand. Which could possibly be the greatest creation ever. or worst...as my pants like to remind me! 
But don't you worry that pretty little head of yours because that is not all the sweet treats that we indulged in. Who can pass up the Hot Donuts Now sign calling from the Krispy Kreme drive through??? Well not these gals! 

In addition to a homemade (or not so homemade) treat for your guests I think its nice to have some fresh flowers in the room that they will be staying in. Nothing says Hi! I'm so glad you are here like fresh flowers. 

Another little thing I like to do for my guests is spray the clean sheets|pillow cases with some Aromatherapy mist. The one I have been loving is a pillow mist from Bath and Body Works with lavender and chamomile oils. Lavender is such a soothing scent and I want my guests to feel as relaxed as they can when they lay down for the night. 

And of course a stocked bar is always a must for our grown up guests :) My girlfriends and I love a good glass of wine...or 5 so I wanted to make sure to have a couple different options from a good sauvingnon blanc, pinot grigio [my personal favorite], merlot for the red wine lover in the group & of course champs which is chilling in the fridge. 

In addition to these little treats for your guests, fresh sheets & towels as well as a variety of toiletries and extra blankets are a nice way to make them feel at home. I am a foodie at heart so in my opinion having good food in the house is a must! Whether you like a nice veggie tray, artisan cheese board, or some yummy chips and dip, food is an easy way to please and impress your guests. 
I had SO much fun this past weekend!! I miss VA and being around all of our friends and family but this little visit from a few girlfriends was so very appreciated. Here are a few pictures of our weekend.
XO.
Elizabeth







Here there hubs on NBA TV!!! 


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig