Sunday, January 11, 2015

It's Cookie Sunday, yall!!!


I have dubbed this day and every Sunday hereafter to be COOKIE SUNDAY! Why you ask? Well because I'm the boss of this blog thing and I do what I want! 
Sundays are by definition a day of rest but Sundays are also good for many other glorious things: brunch, naps, binge-watching your favorite TV shoes, cuddles, more naps and for me an entire day where I have the freedom to try new recipes. After the whole wheat donut got so many rave reviews I thought whole wheat huh?! Let's see how far I can take this whole wheat trend. I thought of the best way to be able to enhance the flavor of whole wheat flour in a recipe and I immediately thought COOKIES. Ok...maybe I lied. I always think cookies first but this time I was on to something!!! Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt. I added the sea salt part because I live for a sweet & salty treat and it just sounded so perfect in these cookies. 

I have tried many and I mean mannnnyyyyy recipes for chocolate chip cookies. I have been known to eat a spoonful...or 334934 of the dough and I really think you can taste if the cookies are going to be good or not before you even bake them. Let me tell you this dough was GREAT! But something magical happened in that oven, y'all. The whole wheat flour gave these cookies the most incredible nutty flavor + semi-sweet chocolate + sea salt = LIFE!!! 

Ok enough rambling...First thing is first. Gather your ingredients, preheat an oven to 350 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. For these cookies you will need:
[Dry]
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
[Wet]
2 sticks unsalted butter cut into pieces (COLD)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla 
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

You could also substitute milk, dark, or even white chocolate chips or GO CRAZY and add a little of each. If that's not your style stick with dark chocolate and throw in some flax seed so you can really feel good about eating theses. All of the above will be just as delicious.



First step is to sift together the dry ingredients. If you don't have a sifter just use a wisk, it all works the same!


Once you have the dry ingredients mixed set aside and add both sticks of COLD butter (important that it is cold) and both dark and regular sugars to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. For this recipe the cold butter will allow the cookies to hold their shape. Mix these ingredients on low speed for AT LEAST 2 minutes. Creaming the butter + sugars together really well  for cookie dough is one of the if not the most important step in the baking process. 


Next add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla. Try not to break the drop the egg into the mixer while trying to be all culinary and crack the egg with the mixer going. Lets just say I had to check and recheck that I got out all the shells (EPIC FAIL). I would say to be safe turn off the mixer crack the egg then turn it back on and mix in between...but that's just me :)


The dough is looking goooooood. Spoon worthy even!! But we are almost there people, I can barely stand my excitement!!!


Throw in those lovely chocolate chips and then run the mixer for maybe 30 seconds to get them well incorporated. If you don't like to use the mixer for this part (because I know you people are particular about your cookies, too) then just mix these with a spoon by hand.


This is it..the motherload! Look at that perfectly scooped ball of cookie dough that is just waiting for my mouth, I mean to be baked. Or did I?!!! 


I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop for these cookies and it was the perfect size. From here you can do 1 of 2 things. Sprinkle these babies with a liberal amount (if that's how you roll) of sea salt and put in the oven to bake. Or you can throw the sheet pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to set the dough to store...pictures below!!


That technique though?!! HAHA I crack myself up! But look how yummy!! 


IF you decide to freeze the dough don't add the sea salt until after you bake them. They wont absorb the salt if you put them on top of the frozen dough and into the oven. But adding them after they bake will have the same effect, heaven!!


I always write what and when and how on the bag just in case you forget or are too lazy to find the recipe card! 

And that's all folks! 
Enjoy today and heck every Sunday because after all it is cookie Sunday!
XO.
Elizabeth





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig