Saturday, February 7, 2015

Easy like a Saturday Morning: Blueberry Muffins with Greek Yogurt

Buenos Dias, Friends and Happy Saturday!!! There are so many things I love about Saturday: no alarm (well except the one I set to wake up and watch my idol, The Pioneer Woman's new episode on Food Network), Food Network shows, lots and lots of coffee refills, laying in my pjs, and getting inspired by all my favorite Food Network Shows to make something delicious for breakfast...ok brunch...ok lunch at the time I get around to peeling myself away from the TV. [Do NOT judge me!] 



This particular Saturday was a Valentines Day special. Is it already February?! Sheesh...time flies when your having fun! I watched all my favorite Saturday morning FN shows and drank about 3 cups of coffee an was sufficiently hyped on caffeine when I walked to my kitchen to prepare breakfast for 1. Where is my hubby you ask?! Well....Texas, California, Nevada....somewhere on the West Coast I believe. Back to baking! I was gifted a bag of scone mix for Christmas. Confession: Scones intimidate me! There is something about them....it's like a nuclear physics equation to come up with the perfect scone that is flaky and moist and totally perfect. I have had one to many dry and brittle scones in my day. Because this is a mix I had high hopes...until I read the directions and realized I was missing the one ingredient that was needed to make the scones: heavy cream. So there's that and there will be no beautiful cinnamon and orange scones baking away in my oven today. What's next...I have blueberries and greek yogurt. Typical weekday breakfast for me but I was craving baked goods. MUFFINS!!! So I decided on a Blueberry muffin with greek yogurt and why not if we are going the healthy route I might as well use whole wheat flour. 


So here she is in all her glory:


...and she was amazing!! I love a homemade muffin!! One that has plump juicy blueberries in every bite is a total bonus!! 
One of the fun tricks that I have learned while baking is that if you have an ingredient that you want to taste in every bite like blueberries you need to add it to the dry ingredients for a good coat so that don't sink to the bottom of the pan while baking. 
After mixing the dry ingredients: 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour | 1 tsp baking powder | 1/2 tsp salt | throw in the blueberries and toss to coat. Set aside





Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl: 1 egg + 1 egg yolk | 1 c. sugar | 1 c. greek yogurt, I used vanilla | 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted. 



 I'm going to let you in on a little secret: yoplait greek vanilla yogurt is my spirit animal!! It is SO good!!! One of these little perfectly portioned containers is exactly 1/2 cup. So no measuring needed just throw 2 of these bad boys in and call it a day. Another tip: When adding the melted butter to the wet mixture whisk it in slowly to temper the eggs...which is just a fancy way of saying introduce hot butter to cold eggs without ending up with scrambled egg mixture for your muffins. EW.



Once you have your wet + dry ingredients just combine the two and fold until combined. Be careful not to be too rough with the blueberries because they will burst and you will end up with blue muffins. EW. Scoop the batter into a cupcake tin with liners. I started by using this 1/4 cup measure then said screw that because the batter was thick and used a cookie scoop. With a delicate hand of course because of those precious blueberries. 


I sprinkled a little extra granulated sugar over the top of the muffins because I'm not fancy enough for the "sprinkling sugar" and feel like these are rustic muffins so they can handle the real deal. 


Bake the muffins for 5 minutes on 425 degrees to get a good crust then turn the oven down to 350 for about 20 minutes until they are baked through. These muffins would be perfect to make ahead and have for a busy weekday morning!!

Enjoy, y'all.
XO.
Elizabeth
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig